Thursday, November 28, 2013

Give thanks and pass the turkey!


These turkeys are grateful for being alive! Looks like they're hittin' the road.

Today is Thanksgiving here in the States, and that means it's a good time for me to sit back and take stock of all the things I'm grateful for. At times I tend to focus on what is missing from my life, things I can't seem to change or find success with. Slowly I'm learning that there will always be an object on the horizon to fixate on, but it's what I have right now that matters. I've been reading a lot about gratitude, and how it not only makes you appreciate what is already in your life, but draws toward you that which you still need. It's simple really: set aside a moment every day to take stock of what you are grateful for. You don't do it just one day of the year, you do it every day of the year. The effect is that you are happier, and being happier means you open the doors to even more happiness. I'm down with that!

I have much to be grateful for. My children, my home, my life, my health, my writing, my music, my car, my computer, all the books I own (they're all over this house), the earth and sun and nature (they ain't mine, so I can't claim them), and everyone and everything who has ever graced my life with light and love. I'm grateful for you and for all of this. Thank you, my friends!

With this long winter ahead of us, I think it will be good to take stock of our lives on a daily basis. Or just say a simple "Yes" to the universe every now and then. If you do this, the blizzards, the below freezing temps, the dreary days that go on and on, won't ruin the real sunlight that exists inside of you—and me.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! What are you grateful for?

4 comments:

  1. This year I am especially grateful to be in the States sharing Thanksgiving with my 94 year old Mom, my sister, her husband and their two wonderful boys. It's a wonderfully day! Happy Thanksgiving, Amy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the turkeys in the buggy, I too am grateful to be alive and able to take in my grandchildren. And the long winter days are not too awful, either, because I can crawl into my warm bed soon after they're in, say 9:30.
    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...