Monday, August 30, 2010

Bugs 'R' US


Julia was sick today, but Liam wasn't, so I piled them both in the car and took him to school and then her to the store to buy an orange and some chicken noodle soup. On the way back home from the store Julia started screaming bloody murder. I have never heard her scream like that, ever, so I instantly pulled over to see what was going on. I thought maybe she had a spider on her; maybe it had bitten her. I turned around and she points to my seat. Right there, just a few inches from my arm, sat a HUGE praying mantis.

OMG.

I dump out the food stuff and use the plastic bag as a glove to capture the thing and then threw it out the window (just the mantis-I ain't a litterer). Then I watched as it landed to the pavement and sort of shook out its long alien legs, then it turned his animatronic freak head to look up at the car. At me.

OMG. OMG.

I hate these things. How the hell did it get in my car????? Poor Julia was so upset and came home to hug Henry the dachshund real hard for comfort. I would have hugged him too but Julia has first rights sometimes.

And then, yeah there's more, about half an hour later I go to pick up a refrigerator magnet that one of the kids had left on the floor, and a black spider jumps off of it. What did I do to deserve this plethora of bug hell? Tell me, cause I'll avoid it next time.

*Whimper*


8 comments:

  1. AHHHH!!!!! *runs away from computer screen* Yucky, a nasty day for bugs!!! I hate the S word, but a praying mantis sounds AWFUL!!!! Poor kid is traumatized for LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. She keeps talking about it too. We looked the yucky thing up on wikopedia and now neither of us will be sleeping anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahaha, I'm sorry, but that is hilarious!

    Poor kid, though. I was traumatized myself when I was 5 years old and chased around my kitchen by a cockroach...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funnily enough, the only time we see those insects in the UK is when kids keep them as pets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have them here too Amy. I usually pick them up and let them stare at me for a while. I probably scare them witless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny, cause now Julia thinks they're cute and wants me to go buy one. I told her she had her chance for a free one earlier!

    By the way, whatcha think of Isabella Rossallini in her bug suit? You never know what you'll find on the Internet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it too. Sometimes certain shades of green make me feel sick, but this one is nice somehow. Just . . . what IS she doing to that mantis?

    ReplyDelete

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...