Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Castles, Candy, and Cary Grant

Last night I stepped away from writing and decided to have a nothing night, which turned out to be a lot of fun. The kids kept busy running around the house, occasionally using me as a trampoline while I watched Dancing With the Stars. I just needed some time to think about what I really want to do with my book and anything else in the future. I don't know where I fit. Everyone seems to have a niche and all I have is a book of great characters that I love dearly and would do anything for. But since I can't define a genre, I'm kind of screwed. It's almost young adult, but crosses over to novel status. It has romance, and ghostly activity. It's kind of a thriller, kind of suspense. So again, I'm kind of screwed. But I ain't giving up on this book- no way, no how.

So, that's what was going on in my head last night. Julia had her own thing going on. After jumping on mom time was over, she sat at the little kid's desk here in the study where I write, and started to go through a huge pile of paper--my rejected drafts. She drew castles, princesses, intricate towers, dragons, and everything in between. She probably spent over two hours in here all by herself, just drawing away. I'm always so impressed with what she can come up with. She does not let age or technic hold her back, if she wants to draw a set of spiral stairs leading all the way up to the tower, then that's what she's gonna do. 3-D stairs, mind you, not your usual up down up down lines. Then, if you look at the window way up high in the tallest tower, you will see--drawn so very intricately--a little princess with all her facial features and long, flowing hair. Very cool.

Now Liam. It doesn't matter where I sit, when I sit, or even if I am awake, this kid is going to jump on me. "Tally ho!!!!" He got that from Spiderman. The more I groan, the more he laughs. I retired to bed at about 9:30 pm so I could watch the gorgeous Hunka Man Cary Grant in North By Northwest, on TCM. Sitting target. First came the jumping, then he got Henry the dachshund's favorite squeaky doll and started running through the house with it with Henry in full pursuit. Yes, I know Liam should be in bed at 9:30, save the lecture. This damn time change has us all messed up. Well, anyway, I watched Cary Grant--barely--and then said prayers real fast, and then yelled at Liam to lay down, which he did, and then we all went to sleep. He is now currently wearing a princess dress and has the hiccups. That's life.

Oh, and my cupcakes dripped down into the oven and started smoking up the house.

The good news is, it's really pretty outside and I found some cool 1969 Camaro commercials on YouTube. Sweeeet. And now . . . it's back to writing. Gulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...